The National Basketball League (NBL) is regarded as one of the premier basketball leagues in the world, is home to some of the world's best players, and is truly a sports entertainment experience like no other.
The objective of this role is to develop and implement policies and programs which support the welfare and educational development of Indigenous Australians within the National Basketball League and its Clubs.
Reporting to the Commissioner, you will also be responsible for designing and delivering programs to support diversity across our broader workforce, and will play a key role in the implementation of the National Basketball League's Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP).
You will be an enthusiastic self-starter, who demonstrates seamless co-operation and collaboration skills, whilst having an extensive understanding of Indigenous cultures, national networks and culturally appropriate models of support.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, communities and organisations to build an effective support system.
- Assist in the engagement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples within our programs and services to further understand specific community needs.
- Establish a local network of on-the-ground support services for each NBL Club.
- Provide and/or source expert cultural advice and direction to the organisation.
- Act as the primary contact for players, coaches, high performance staff, the NBL and all relevant stakeholders as required for any culturally related matters.
- Assist the NBL and its Clubs in building their capacity, through skill-base and understanding of all staff, pertaining to culturally related matters.
- Determine and understand the needs of individual athletes and be responsible for providing them with the resources necessary to support their needs, whether this be internal to the NBL, Clubs or third-party organisations.
- Ensure that all staff within the NBL receive services which are responsive to their needs, respectful of their rights, culturally appropriate and achieve quality outcomes.
- Plan and deliver educational, career and personal development initiatives for our Indigenous workforce.
- Support the NBL's Reconciliation Action Plan Working Group Co-Chairs in driving governance and deliverables of the plan.
- Build accountability and transparency through reporting RAP achievements, challenges and learnings both internally and externally.
- Contribute to the development of reports and communications across a variety of platforms that promote and increase awareness of the RAP and associated initiatives.
- Continue our reconciliation journey by developing our next RAP.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Minimum 2+ years experience in a similar role.
- Relevant work and life experiences in order to be relatable to the NBL's Indigenous community and determine the appropriate support services required.
- Demonstrated experience working with Indigenous peoples including athletes in a high-performance setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional people skills with a strong ability to build rapport and long-standing relationships with a variety of people.
- Strong knowledge of basketball desirable.
To apply for this exciting role please click the "Apply Now" Button