The Chair appointed would have the vision and creativity to work with trustees and the staff team to ensure good governance and support the organisation to achieve its outcomes effectively and efficiently. Our current trustees have worked collectively with the CEO, Alex Eagle and Head of Fundraising Lucy Richards, to ensure that the organisation is well-governed, clear about its strategic goals, and financially sustainable. Despite the current uncertain climate for the charity sector, we have successfully secured a variety of funding to expand our workforce and programmes.
We would particularly welcome applications from individuals with a clear understanding of governance and who would also be able to contribute to the organisation's strategic planning. The successful candidates must be able to lead, motivate, advise and develop the Board of Trustees and support and challenge, as required, our CEO, Alex Eagle, to help meet The Running Charity’s strategic and operational objectives.
We are also keen that the Board continues to be representative of our membership and the diverse communities we serve. The Running Charity has an organisational commitment to building a diverse and inclusive board and we therefore strongly encourage applications from women and people from Black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds who have the skills, knowledge and experience the posts require.
Personal skills and expertise required:
• Leadership and motivational skills
• Good understanding and knowledge of the charity sector
• Good communication and interpersonal skills; able to engage and listen at all levels
• Able to build productive relationships with CEO and key staff, volunteers and stakeholders
• Able to reach clear decisions by consensus
• Good planning and organisational skills
• Personal integrity, independence of mind and willingness to challenge and question
• A clear commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
The successful applicant should expect to spend a minimum of 1 day a month supporting the CEO, preparing for and chairing Board meetings, developing and reviewing the organisational strategy, involvement in ad hoc working groups and working with and supporting trustees one to one and collectively.
The Chair role is voluntary and non-remunerated. We will reimburse reasonable travel and similar direct expenses incurred to attend meetings.