Assistant Men's Ice Hockey Coach -- Colgate University - New York- Closing Date 26/8/2020
New York, NY, USA
Department: Men's Ice HockeyColgate boasts 25 Division I teams and a tradition of excellence that inspires our student-athletes to high achievement on and off the playing fields.
Colgate boasts 25 Division I teams and a tradition of excellence that inspires our student-athletes to high achievement on and off the playing fields.
Responsible for execution of specific strategic activities and outcomes within assigned sport or area. These will include sustained performance and execution in the following areas: - adhere to Head Coach's philosophy - athletic instruction/coaching. - program operations and administration as designated by head coach
• Responsible for oversight of all administrative operations regarding student-athlete development. These will include: - Monitoring of student-athlete academic progress and well-being - Ensure student-athlete participation in all assigned community service activities
• Responsible for execution of all scouting, film preparation, and competition preparation. These will include: - video breakdown - use of appropriate video-editing software - coordination and oversight over film exchange program per conference policies - coordination of team film sessions - development of scouting reports
• Responsible for overall team recruitment strategy. - Exercises independent judgement regarding recruitment of prospective student-athletes. - Decision-making authority to determine which individuals to recruit - Decision-making authority in the allocation of scholarship allocations (as applicable) - attracting and evaluating prospective student athletes - monitoring prospective student-athlete academic progress and well being - developing and maintaining relationships with prospective student athletes and other recruiting constituents
• Accountable for maintaining personal compliance with all relevant governing bodies to include: - NCAA - specific conference - athletic department - university policies - successful completion of annual NCAA recruiting exam - attendance at all required compliance educational meetings - successful on-time completion of all recruiting logs
• Accountable for maintaining professional relationships with key internal and external stakeholders. To include: - Responsible for all newsletters and communication with alumni - Responsible for team promotion and marketing to all constituents - Responsible for determining communication strategy within university and local community
• Independent and unchallengeable decision-making regarding all student-athlete participation in assigned sport activities when head coach is not present. Accountable for student-athlete welfare while coaching.
• Responsible for maintaining a budget. Exercises independent discretion on all purchases and budgetary decisions for program.
• Responsible for hiring, oversight and management of student managers and part-time casual wage staff. Assistant Coach has independent discretion on all hiring and termination of student employees and part-time casual wage staff.
• Responsible for role modeling behaviors and leadership for student-athletes.
Colgate Athletics Mission: To be an inclusive community of competitive excellence
This position has been designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), in accordance with the federal statutory requirements of the Jeanne Clery Act. CSAs are required to and responsible for reporting allegations of crimes they receive from students and employees to the Campus Safety Department.
Prior experience coaching men’s hockey is preferred, experience coaching or playing at the Division I level is desired.
Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree is preferred.
A current valid driver’s license, in accordance with the University’s Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy is required.
Colgate University is committed to the principle of institutional control in administering its athletics program in a manner consistent with the NCAA, ECAC, and Patriot League rules. Each individual involved in the athletics division is obligated to maintain competency and knowledge of the rules, to act within his or her realm of responsibility in full compliance with the governing legislation, and to report any violation of NCAA, ECAC or Patriot League rules of which he or she is aware. Should a situation warrant further investigation, you have an affirmative obligation to cooperate full in the infractions process, including the investigation and adjudication of a case. Without limiting remedies otherwise available to the university, if you are found to be in violation of any NCAA, ECAC or Patriot League rules, you may be subject to disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in relevant NCAA, league or conference disciplinary and/or enforcement procedures, including suspension without pay or termination of employment for significant or repeated violations.