Staff Accountant - U.S. Masters Swimming - Closing date 4 Apr 2020
U.S. Masters Swimming Vision & Overview
USMS is the premier resource for adult aquatic fitness in the United States and will make fitness through swimming available for as many adults as possible. Founded in 1970, USMS is a membership-operated national governing body that promotes health, wellness, fitness, and competition for adults through swimming. We do so by partnering with more than 1,500 adult swim programs across the country that offer a USMS licensed Masters Swimming program; educating and certifying coaches and instructors that are teaching adults; promoting information via the bimonthly member magazine, SWIMMER, monthly e-newsletters, STREAMLINES, and website, usms.org; and by sanctioning and promoting pool, open water, and virtual events and competitions. More than 65,000 adults are registered members of USMS.
The Staff Accountant will be responsible for accounts receivable and payable, preparation of month end reporting, and managing all general account functions. This position also serves in an advisory role, providing the National Office staff guidance on financial procedures, policies and guidelines.
• Conduct all duties associated with weekly accounts payable including: interact with staff, volunteers and vendors, process invoices, expense coding and data entry.
• Analyze vendor statements and reconcile outstanding items.
• Coordinate all phases of 1099 including: preparation, review, processing and IRS reporting.
• Conduct all duties associated with accounts receivable including: prepare sponsor and advertiser invoices and statements; run aging reports and review past due invoices with CFO and Business Development Manager.
• Responsible for all forms of cash transactions.
• Prepare supporting schedules and other data necessary for financial reports and record on a monthly basis.
• Assist CFO with external auditors by preparing schedules for the annual audit.
• Assists in the preparation of all necessary financial reporting to federal, city and state agencies as needed.
• Assist in managing and conducting internal auditing programs to help assure that records are accurately maintained and that established policies and practices are satisfactorily and consistently followed.
• Assist the CFO in the preparation of budgets and financial forecasts; analyzes financial information, monitors budgeted versus actual expenditures.
• Support the CFO in the preparation of accounting reports and presentations as necessary and appropriate for dissemination to the Board of Directors, Finance Committee and Staff.
• Maintain Fixed Asset ledgers and prepares depreciation schedules for monthly entries.
• Performs special projects and duties as assigned.
• Minimum of four (4) years of experience in accounting.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or related field.
• Experience working with accounting software with a preference for Blackbaud Financial Edge and NXT.
• Advanced Microsoft Office skills.
• Nonprofit experience a plus.
• Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, cost control principles and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. (GAAP)
• Excellent organizational and follow-through skills, ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under deadlines.
• Superb written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work in a team environment.
USMS offers a comprehensive benefit package including 100% paid (for employee) health, dental and vision insurance, short and long term disability and life insurance . Paid time off and 4% 401k match when eligible. Also, eligible for annual performance based bonus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.