Interview date5 September 2022Job DescriptionSafeguarding Officer
Starting Salary: £12,500 per annum
Fixed-term contract until 31st March 2027 – 16hrs per week
JOB TITLE: Safeguarding Officer
RESPONSIBLE TO: Chief Executive Officer
RESPONSIBLE FOR: There are no direct reports associated with this role
Main Focus of the role
You will strive to ensure that all those participating in Handball, whether as a participant, coach, referee, volunteer or staff member, can do so in a safe and welcoming environment.
You will be part of the drive to ensure that safeguarding services are offered to the highest standard and that the organisation runs smoothly, efficiently and economically in line with current sector standards of safeguarding compliance and good practice.
You will develop impactful relationships and partnerships with local, regional and national agencies that will allow capacity and capability to be developed. As Safeguarding Lead, you will design, develop and implement an effective and robust safeguarding framework across England.
The Safeguarding Officer will be accountable to, and appraised by, the Chief Executive Officer.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
• To act as Lead Safeguarding Officer and the main liaison for the EHA with the NSPCC and the Child Protection in Sport Unit on all safeguarding issues.
• To ensure that the EHA’s policies on child protection underpin all areas of activity within the sport and support clubs to meet the requirements of the Safeguarding Standard.
• Continually assess, implement and maintain a high-quality and fit-for-purpose operational Safeguarding framework in England that promotes safety, sustainability, growth and development.
• Lead the development of safeguarding education and training opportunities for staff and volunteers ensuring that our people are upskilled.
• Act as point of contact for safeguarding information and support to the Handball community.
• Provide accurate and timely reports on progress against safeguarding objectives, including delivery of training and case management.
• Contribute to the development of club guidance and tools to enable the growth and sustainability of club Handball.
The Safeguarding Officer does not have direct line management responsibility. However, on occasion there may be a requirement to manage or supervise the EHA’s volunteer workforce.
Location of post
It is anticipated that the post will be predominately remotely based, however an option of remote working may be considered where this is felt to be beneficial to the EHA. Due to the nature of this job, and the potential for occasional travel across the country, you must hold a full driving licence and have access to a vehicle for work purposes.
NB. This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity you will be required to work and can be amended with consultation in the light of the changing needs of the organisation.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following key skills and experience:
• Safeguarding management within a comparable organisation and industry.
• Industry orientated qualification or substantial evidence to demonstrate effective delivery and management of Safeguarding.
• Experience of successful capability and capacity building at local, regional and national level.
• Empathy and social skills in order to build effective working relationships with others.
• Effective team-working and collaboration skills.
• Handball is a sport predominantly run by volunteers and the successful candidate will be expected, from time to time, to work flexibly during evenings and weekends and work around the needs of the business.