Our Parks is undergoing an exciting phase of growth and is looking for an Independent Chair to support the Our Parks strategy and lead the Our Parks Board.
The purpose of the Independent Chair will be to:
• Take responsibility for leading the Board
• Support Our Parks CEO & Founder to deliver its strategic ambition and grow
the model and ethos across the UK
• Ensure that Our Parks has a clear vision and purpose and an effective
strategic plan that is then translated into achievable annual objectives.
• Ensure that the Our Parks Board functions properly, that there is full
participation at meetings, all relevant matters are discussed, that effective decisions are made and carried out and matters are dealt with in an efficient and orderly manner.
• Proactively manage Conflicts of Interest within the Board
• Lead the Board and run Board meetings - get the best from the Board members and the workforce, creating the conditions for a high performing Board
• Bring objectivity to meetings and decision-making
• Address conflict within the Our Parks Board
• Regularly review governance performance and skills matrix
• Plan recruitment and renewal of the Our Parks Board members with the
• Ensure the Our Parks Board and meetings are managed effectively
• Co-ordinate the work of the Board to ensure responsibilities for particular
aspects of management are met (e.g., financial control, risk management, etc) and specialist expertise is recruited to the Board as required
• Approving annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions
• Has an understanding of and accepts the legal duties, obligations and
liabilities acting as a Board Chairman
• Advocate Equality, Diversity & Inclusion - ensuring the commitment to a diverse Board and workforce that reflects the communities that Our Parks serves
• Experience as a Chair, Senior Director, Trustee or Committee Member in either sports governance, commercial, voluntary, or public sector context
• Significant experience of operating at a senior level in a strategic and operational capacity
• Will have an understanding of, and accepts the legal duties, obligations and liabilities of, acting as the Independent Chair
• Experience of governance, compliance and risk management and reporting to stakeholders
• Will show willingness to devote the necessary time needed for the role
• Strong leadership and people management skills
• Good working knowledge of sport and the public and/or private sectors
• Commercial & Financial acumen
• Ability to build and maintain strong, transparent relationships with key stakeholders
• Ability to support, challenge and manage a relationship with Our Parks Board Members and key external stakeholders
• Will understand the importance of confidentiality and will apply this to all matters regarding the Board and internal discussions
• Possesses good communication and interpersonal skills
• Will undergo an Enhanced CRB check
A minimum of 2-3 days per month and half a day for induction training.
There are usually 4 board meetings in a year, these meetings will be both virtual and in-person.
This is a non-salaried position. Travel and other reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.