At the Y our vision is simple - Amplify Your Voice. Shape Our Community. Challenge Our World
As the largest employer in fitness and recreation we have more than 5,000 staff at over 140 centres across Victoria. With us, you will work colleagues who have a shared passion for making a difference in the lives of individuals and transforming communities for the better.
About the Centre
North Melbourne Recreation Centre (NMRC) is an aquatic and recreation Centre that supports participation in sport at all levels, from family to professional. It is also home to North Melbourne Football Club and Fencing Victoria. The Centre is designed to provide the community with a range of recreational, social, cultural and educational experiences. NMRC is located at 206 Arden St, North Melbourne and includes the following facilities. One-Court Stadium, Health Club, Group Fitness Room, Spin Room, Multi-Purpose Rooms, Outdoor Heated Pool, and an Outdoor Heated Toddler Pool.
About the role
As the Centre Manager of North Melbourne Recreation Centre you will be a key leader providing leadership and vision for the general operations of the Centre, as well as play a broader role within both the YMCA and Council.
Our customers and staff teams come from all walks of life. Our culture of inclusion and being socially connected are what makes us stand out. We are proud to work with the local City of Melbourne community and we are looking for a leader who values making a difference in the lives of others. A leader who can help carry our vision and inspire those they lead to impact, develop and grow.
You will lead a multitude of business units including Customer Care, Aquatic Safety, Health & Wellness, Operations, and Learn to Swim. You will be highly visible within the centre and the local community, forming strong relationships and partnerships that add value to the business operations and ensure services meet the needs of our communities.
In addition to North Melbourne Recreation Centre, as the Centre Manager you will also oversee the management and operation of the North Melbourne Outdoor Pool (NMOP). The pool is located approximately 200m from the Recreation Centre, and is open seasonally over the summer period. You will also provide managerial resourcing and support to other nearby YMCA Victoria/City of Melbourne facilities. These facilities include:
* Kensington Town Hall (KTH)
* North Melbourne Community Centre (NMCC)
As well as the following Satellite Facilities:
* Kensington Banks Tennis Courts
* Kensington Community Gardens
* Kensington Skate Park
In this role you will also be the primary Council contact for inquiries regarding the redevelopment of the Kensington Community Recreation Centre. This Centre is currently undergoing a redevelopment and is scheduled to re-open in early 2024. This facility will cost in the vicinity of $50m and will be the centre-piece of City of Melbourne's recreational centres. A separate process for the recruitment of a dedicated Centre Manager for this site will take place at a later date.
This position is being offered on a full-time basis with a total remuneration package of $118k to $128k (incl super), experience dependant.
As Centre Manager, will be a considered decision maker and will be able to manage a multitude of tasks utilising good time management and organisational skills. You will be able to work both independently and as part of the leisure team.
* You will be able to present the YMCA to the local community as well as provide leadership and vision for the facility and its staff.
* An excellent oral and written communicator, you will be able to work in partnership with the City of Melbourne team as well as other community groups to develop programs and services to meet the needs of the community.
* You will be self-motivated, able to engage staff and the community and will be able to drive the business, while maintaining the assets under their control.
* You will be organised and have a demonstrated ability to engage staff and improve business performance, with strong project management skills.
* You will be focused on the customer experience and cultivate a culture of continuous learning amongst the staff teams.
* You will have strong general business and financial acumen.
* You will foster a culture of safety at the facility and have experience managing risk
* Alignment with the YMCAs values is critical for this role.
Qualifications & Experience
Experience in a similar leadership role within the Sports & Recreation industry will be highly regarded but if you have significant team leadership and budget management experience from a different industry, we would love to hear from you.
* Tertiary qualifications in Sports Management, Business Management, or other related field will be highly regarded
* Previous leadership experience is essential
At the Y, we are committed to empowering all Children and Young People to feel safe and be safe. As such, we ensure that all of our candidates are appropriately screened (including police check, working with children check and reference checks). To learn more about our commitment to safeguarding children and young people visit victoria.ymca.org.au
In keeping with current Victorian health directions it is a requirement that staff attending our facilities are fully vaccinated. Please be aware that you will be required to provide evidence of your vaccination status as part of the recruitment process.
At the YMCA, we value our people. Working for us means you'll enjoy great work/life balance and a range of benefits which improve your wellbeing and help you develop as an individual, such as;
* Flexible working arrangements
* Opportunities for career development and growth
* Free access to gyms, recreation, and aquatics centres across the state
* Free access to the Virtual Y - online health and wellness
How to Apply
Working for the YMCA is a rewarding and challenging experience for those with a positive attitude, zest for life and who seek to contribute to the bigger picture. If this is you, click the Apply button now.