A professional athlete and postgraduate student who thrives on challenges and possesses a relentless passion for succeeding. Basketball has taught me many transferable skills that help me succeed in the business world. My proven ability to successfully demonstrate skills such as: Teamwork, communication, problem solving, leadership, and public speaking make me a perfect candidate for a role in this sector. I am an extremely positive person who prides himself on discipline and consistently exemplifying a high work ethic. I am a confident and articulate individual who is enthusiastic about a career in business management, leadership, and sales. I strive not only for the success of myself but also for the organisation in which I represent.
Professional Basketball Player – Leicester Riders – November 2012 to Present
- First team Player: Competing in Britain’s top professional Basketball League, the BBL. I played a vital role in the Treble winning 2012/13 season, which is considered the club’s most successful season since its establishment in 1967.
- Currently deliver 4-6 hours per week of basketball coaching. My Level 2 England Basketball coaching Qualification and Emergency First Aid certification allow me to work within primary, secondary, and after school clubs.
- Live commentary, in-game and post-game analysis on SkySports, Eurosport, and BBL TV. Live interviews and club representation on BBC East Midlands, BBC South West, ITV South West, and BBC radio Leicester.
Professional Basketball Player – Plymouth Raiders – November 2009 to November 2012
- During my second pro year and at 24 years old I was made the team captain which entailed responsibilities in leadership, peer encouragement, motivation, and communication between coaches and players. During this time the team recorded one of its most successful BBL finishes in club history.
- 6-8 hours per week of basketball coaching within schools and the community.
- Regularly appeared on BBC Radio Plymouth for pre-match interviews, game analysis and team promotion.
Professional Basketball Player – Cognac, France – August 2009 to November 2009
- The beginning of my professional playing career presented many challenges which helped mould me into a more mature leader.
- Lived in France with predominantly French speaking team mates which meant my communication and resilience were exercised to new heights. Had to adapt, communicate, and motivate my team mates in game and high pressure situations.
- I embraced a different way of living, and met many different types of people which contributed to my overall cultural awareness.
MSc Business Management – expected Merit
Loughborough University School of Business and Economics – 2014 to 2016
Modules Completed: Operations Management: 62, Work Psychology: 61, Business Analysis: 70, Strategic Management: 66, Human Resources Management: 64.
BSc (Hons) Physical Education and Leadership – 3.2 GPA (equivalent 2:1)
University of North Georgia (USA) – 2005 to 2009
Subjects covered include: Maths models, Political Science, World Civilization, Principles of Leadership, Information systems & Computers, Speech Communications, English language, English literature, Advanced Leadership, Abnormal Psychology, Sociology, Kinesiology, Physiology, Education, PE Administration, Coaching Theory, Leadership Internship.
Secondary School: Tor Bridge High (Estover Community College) – 1997 to 2004
A Levels: Physical Education , Psychology , English Literature.
GCSEs: 8 GCSEs grade A-C (Including English and Maths).
Teamwork and Leadership
An appetite for responsibility and proactively seeking leadership roles has resulted in promotion to Team Captain and Lead-Basketball Coach for two professional teams.
Excels when working in collaboration with others; Championships are won when individuals put the needs of the team before themselves: Demonstrated during the 2012/13 treble winning championship season.
Possess a high level of emotional intelligence and understanding on how to influence and motivate people as individuals as well as within a group.
Customer Focus and Communication
Highly successful at developing relationships and managing expectations. Demonstrated by receiving outstanding stakeholder, board member and management feedback regarding proactive and positive attitude.
Regularly communicating complex or specific information to others in a relevant and informative way. For example, when public speaking or delivering a motivational speech I adapt presentations to suit the audience which can range from schools, universities, charity events and high profile awards evenings. Always maintaining high levels of engagement while adding charisma and relevance to subject matter.
Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of company strategic objectives and effectively communicates live on TV, Radio, and Blogs. In addition to interviewing for newspapers and magazines whilst always upholding the company’s ethos and brand.
Ability to observe basketball video, game patterns and statistics to implement a strategic game plan. In addition to this I obtain a tenacious ability to out-work and out-perform opponents.
Successfully negotiating contacts with teams and agents. During the 2011/12 season I represented myself and negotiated several contracts, securing an improved contract offer with the Plymouth Raiders.
ACHIEVEMENTS/ INTERESTS/ VOLUNTARY WORK
England Basketball: International appearances spanning from 2010 to 2013. Considered a top 25 national player and narrowly missed out on representing team GB in the 2012 Olympics.
Travel: Basketball has taken me all over the world and I really enjoy meeting new people, experiencing other countries and cultures.
Summer Honours camp Leader June/ July 2009, Georgia, USA. This camp was designed for future leaders and academically gifted 17-18 year olds. As a camp leader I supported and challenged the campers. Emphasis was placed on social and personal development. This camp was extremely rewarding.
Make-A-Wish foundation America, various fund raising campaigns spread over 4 years in partnership with the University of North Georgia Athletics (August 2005- July 2009).
References available upon Request
- Customer Focus
- Public Speaking
- Time Management
MSc Business Management - Loughborough University
In addition to education, I represented the Loughborough University Basketball team and won the BUCS national Championship (first one in university history).
BSc (Hons) Physical Education & Leadership - University of North Georgia