The UCI Road World Championships are the pinnacle event in the annual international road cycling calendar. In 2019, the event will take place in the UK (Yorkshire) and promises spectacular routes, huge crowds and the world’s best male and female riders.
Yorkshire was awarded the right to host the 2019 Road World Championships in October 2016 after a competitive bidding process. This will be the first time that the UK has hosted this prestigious event since 1982, and will build on the incredible memories from the Grand Depart 2014 Tour de France, when millions lined the streets of Yorkshire to witness the world’s top cyclists.
The winning bid was made jointly by British Cycling, Welcome to Yorkshire, UK Sport and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS). The event will be funded principally through DCMS and UK Sport, whilst also receiving support from the Local Authorities selected to host the event. The event will be underwritten by Government through DCMS.
The event presents significant size, scale and complexity, and will be one of the biggest international sporting events to be hosted in the UK in the coming years. Yorkshire 2019 Ltd has therefore been established to be the organisation responsible for the delivery of the event, and the company was incorporated by UK Sport as its subsidiary in November 2016. Yorkshire 2019 Ltd has entered into an event organisation agreement with the UCI, and will oversee the delivery of the event in accordance with this agreement.
Title: Head of Finance and Procurement
Reports to: CEO, participates in board meetings
Yorkshire 2019 is seeking to recruit a Head of Finance and Procurement as part of its senior management team. The role will report to the CEO, supporting the overall governance and financial management of this major sports event. The ‘experience requirement’ is quite diverse because Yorkshire 2019 Limited is, by necessity, managed by a small programme team with a fixed total budget and project delivery time frame. Yorkshire 2019’s structure is highly regulated with significant oversight and controls in place. Any potential applicant needs to be open minded, dynamic in their delivery, outlook and thinking, happy with change and multi skilled.
• Full ownership of the financial reporting framework and be the central focus for financial integrity and compliance of Yorkshire 2019 Ltd
• Ensure that all of the company’s financial practices are in line with statutory regulations and legislation with particular emphasis on ensuring government reporting rules are adhered to
• Set up and take control of the company accounting system, banking, payroll and book keeping functions using either in house and / or external service provider(s) (budgetary consideration)
• Oversee all procurement to ensure government regulations are fully met
• Create and maintain relationships with financial stakeholders, service providers and contractors, including UK Sport, DCMS, Cabinet Office, Audit Committee, banking institutions and auditors / accountants
• Oversee, review, and ensure company adheres to the budget, supporting company-wide budgetary planning
• Assist senior executives and the board in creating strategic plans
• Supervise internal / external finance staff in the facilitation of day-to-day operations, including tracking financial data, invoicing, payroll, book keeping etc
• Working with the Audit Committee, contract auditing services to ensure financial monitoring is as per requirements
• Prepare monthly management reports and oversee the annual reports, as required
• Monitor cash flow, accounts, and all financial transactions
• Prepare reports and present them to the Board of Directors and the Audit Committee at scheduled meetings as required
• Update and ensure correct implementation of financial and procurement policies and procedures
• Seek out methods and practices to minimise financial risk
• Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA or equivalent), with previous experience of working in a leadership role
• Minimum 5 years experience in SME and / or large corporation, with exposure of diverse business operations
• Experience of government / large corporation procurement processes beneficial
• Experience in setting up and running a small business accounting system from initiation desirable
• High integrity and openness combined with commitment to excellent governance
• Ability to communicate at all levels
• Ability to handle high levels of pressure and critical decision-making
• Excellent mathematical skills
• Strong IT skills
Energetic, highly motivated, enquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in the pursuit of business success.